Thursday, October 22, 2009

All the new jinx.tv site updates

It's come to my attention that some people visiting this blog may not have the best english skills. Or it could be me not enunciating properly? If someone is a non-native english speaker, as someone who is always trying to follow the convos of people around me who are speaking another language (in my case, spanish) I can certainly sympathize with how much harder it is to understand what people are saying vs. what they've written down. For that reason, I'm going to try and post a nice balance of both written and video stuff.

Had some exciting updates on the site today. Well, exciting to me. So here's all the recent updates...

1.) added text to http://jinx.tv that tells when the last transaction took place

2.) added link to this blog to http://jinx.tv

3.) added link to my "therebucks" twitter account to http://jinx.tv (before the link only showed up when I ran out of Therebucks, now it's near the bottom of the page all the time.)

4.) added "status" link (it's in AJAX!) to http://sell.jinx.tv to help notify sellers about payment times...good for when I'm sleeping, or out of town (although I have a netbook and a fancy phone that I can do most transactions with it still causes delays) or am paying a few days late due to a MASSIVE influx of Therebucks and/or a dirty rotten scammer (knock on wood.)

5.) added link to this blog to http://sell.jinx.tv

6.) added link to my SELLER SPECIFIC Twitter account on http://sell.jinx.tv

and also...

7.) Created the http://twitter.com/sell_therebucks account and even made a first post to it!

So, things are looking good. I figure it's like when my cat had cancer...things can feel a little overwhelming sometimes, but if you do just a LITTLE bit every day, before you know it you've accomplished a lot.

Oh, I'm so dumb though. I wanted to email all past buyers so I went into my database and extracted out the 13,500 rows of data containing avatar buy Therebucks transactions, and then I put them in a Google Docs spreadsheet (although to complicate things, a table can only hold 10,000 rows), sorted it alphabetically by name and then removed all the dupe names...BY HAND. Yes, it took hours.

Okay, so then I wanted to do the same thing again with the sellers list, which is shorter...less than 5,000 rows of data but still quite a task. I had sorted alphabetically and then extracted duplicates up to the letter "C" when I thought to myself "I wonder if there is a spreadsheet function that can remove duplicate lines." So I googled it and...there IS and it's really EASY! Basically I just had to add "=UNIQUE(A2:A4110)" to a data cell and that's IT. It was so quick and easy...think of all those hours I wasted because I didn't do that simple google search earlier!

The only downside was that afterwards I realized it was case sensitive, so if someone had submitted requests that said for instance, "JohnSmith", "johnsmith", "Johnsmith" and "JoHnSmItH", they probably got an email from me for EACH spelling variation. Consider that your punishment for inconsistency! :P I guess I'll have to go back over the file now and check for those caps dupes.

Anyway, I guess I better go eat some freshly baked bread and then practice Rock Band Beatles (cuz we're making everyone do it at our Halloween party and I want to make sure we know how it works first. Hey, maybe I can be just a teeny bit better than most everyone else, too!)

See you in There!

No comments:

Post a Comment